Into the Woods:
Rustic Wisconsin Cabins
Live Your Best Cabin Life in Door County
Visit the Summer Guide for Trip Ideas & Inspiration
Top 5 Must-Dos on a Cabin Getaway
A log cabin isn’t just a place to hang your hat while on vacation; it’s a way of life. With that comes opportunities to embrace simplicity, find spiritual rejuvenation, and have some rustic, old-fashioned outdoor fun.
- Build a Fire: This one may be a given, but learning to build a fire is a valuable and rewarding life skill. From cooking dinner (and s’mores!) over an open fire to bonding over stories, songs, and small talk, spending time by a campfire can be a relaxing and even soul-filling experience.
- Cook a Rustic Meal: If your cabin is equipped with cooking gear, or if you’re a particularly ambitious campfire chef, try making a few Door County favorites, such as Cherry Wine-Braised Beef Ribs, a homemade Fish Boil, or Cherry Brownies.
- Take a Hike: Embrace your time in the woods by hitting the trails. Door County has five state parks and 19 county parks stocked with trails for hikers of all experience levels. Check out our roundup of to see what you’re in for.
- Cast a Line: Keep it simple and head to a lake, pond, or harbor to see what kinds of fish you can find. Bass, walleye, perch, and trout—to name a few—swim beneath the shores. Hop a charter boat or find a local shop that rents equipment if you don’t have your own.
- Dive Right In: Water sports are a part of life here, and many Door County and Wisconsin cabins can be found right on the water. Try canoeing, kayaking, stand-up paddle boarding, parasailing, tubing, sailing, and more, all in a single weekend.
Catch Cabin Fever: Rustic Homes in Door County
Imagine waking up to the sun peeking through vintage drapes and the soft chirps of local birds enticing you to rise. Or, if a luxurious getaway is more your style, picture warm, dark-brown log walls, vaulted ceilings decked out with stained-wood beams, and rustic farmhouse décor greeting you as you enter your vacation home. Friendly neighbors may abound, or the quiet company of pines, oaks, and local fauna may surround your cabin home. Either way, any style, Door County, Wisconsin cabins can provide you a temporary home in which you can live out the wilderness getaway of your dreams.